Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tour of the Catskills in three days

My biggest race of the year is only three days away. Many things are going through my head, typical things like will I do well, did I do enough to do well, and much more. I am at this point before a race trying to focus on the task at hand and make sure I have all my gear in good working order (I do this well in advance don't want to change set ups on the bike to close to the race), and that I am prepared.
This race is a bit different being that its multi day, and so now I need to make sure I have spare equipment. I don't have an extra bike but I do have an extra wheel set, two extra cassette's, extra brake cables, handle bars and shifters, rear derailleur, and extra saddle, and other odds and ends. Now I did not go out and buy new stuff this is all off of my bike I wrecked (wouldn't be buying a dura-ace derailleur for a spare), but its pretty cool to have back ups kinda makes me feel like I am really in it.
At my level I am everything, trainer, mechanic, and motivator. My wife she is also a motivator for me and she is my support vehicle (not allowed to drive the course) in that she goes to the feeds zones for me and cheers me on.
Well, my bike is tuned wheels are trued, gear is packed and ready to go.

Physically, I am as prepared as I am going to get. I am in my taper to race day doing short intensity work outs (decreasing volume), and doing everything to ensure I recover for a good peak on race day. I feel I have done a good job, probably not all I could do but all I could do with the time I am willing to give. I actually during my main training weeks was able to increase my volume from 6-8 hours on the bike a week to 15-20 hrs on the bike as well as my off the bike work. I did not have to make to many sacrifices to achieve this mainly just did not work much overtime at work and road early in the morning while the family slept.

I am going for it all this race, I am going to try and not leave anything on the road each of the three days, use the techniques I have learned like sag climbing, and just go for it in general with out burning to many matches to fast. Its going to be a lot of fun, and a great race experience.

gun

No comments:

Post a Comment